Sunday, November 18, 2012

PBAL UPDATE

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the new PBA League that will debut in 2013. The PBAL held its draft on November 9th and the results of that draft can be found here.

I think all of the team captains drafted very well as each team appears to have a solid roster. There were a few interesting, unexpected picks in the draft. Norm Duke selected fellow Hall of Famer, Amleto Monacelli (age 51) with his third round pick. Sean Rash selected Hall of Famer, Walter Ray Williams Jr. with his fourth round pick. Williams is the top winner in PBA history but he's 53 years old. Finally, with his supplemental pick, Mike Fagan selected Kelly Kulick, the only woman to win a PBA title.

I don't mean to say that people over 50 and women can't be top bowlers. Williams, Monacelli, and Kulick are great bowlers. But we can see who wins nearly every PBA event -- men under age 50. So with 140 PBA bowlers eligible in the draft and only 40 of them being picked, I was surprised by those selections. I suppose the league format makes it a different proposition than regular tournament bowling. I hope all three of them will do well.

If this league is operated and televised well, it could be very exciting to watch. I can't wait for it to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment