Monday, December 10, 2012

BOWLING FOR THE TITLE



Tonight we have the opportunity to sew up first place. Our lead that was 9.5 games a month ago has been shaved down to 4 games. It's not because we haven't bowled well. We've had a pretty good month. The reason we can't just coast to a championship tonight is that Team 5 has been on fire, winning 16 in a row. We took 3 of 4 from them on November 5th and they haven't lost a point since. With a 4-game lead and 4 points on the line tonight, we need to win a single game to wrap up first place.

The important thing for us to do is relax. If we clench up and put extra pressure on ourselves, it will be more difficult to bowl well. All we have to do is win one game but I'm not going to think about it that way. My approach will be that I'm going to focus on making a good shot in every frame. If we bowl the way we normally do, the winning will take care of itself.

2 comments:

  1. We had fun last night
    The Blockheads won 1 game that they needed
    to grab first place. Team 5 won the other 3 to take a strong 2nd place
    and we even got sharon to smile... If only for a second :)
    Look forward to next season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Pete. It was a lot of fun. I hope we can have another highly competitive season except with more teams.

      This is where we have to press DVB to do some recruiting. I don't see this league continuing in January if they can't get us at least eight full teams. I'd like there to be ten or more but I'd settle for eight. If they can't do that, I think we're going to look for another league. Whether it's on a different night or Monday night at another bowling center.

      Jeff Falk and I have already spoken to management about it and let them know we can't continue as a five team league. I think we need them to hear from more than just a couple of us to develop a sense of urgency. It would be helpful if at least one person from each team in the league would send them an email and let them know we expect to have a full league in January or we're moving on. Nothing angry or hostile. Just an expression of our wishes. Something like this:

      "I bowl in the Over The Wall league on Monday nights and I'm concerned that our league is going to fold. I've spoken to others in the league and we agree we can't continue with only five teams and a total of only twenty bowlers.

      When we have our league meeting In January, there has to be a solid commitment from at least eight teams or we are likely finished. Please reach out to the bowling community and find enough bowlers to keep this league alive. I enjoy bowling here on Monday nights but I will have to seek another night or another bowling center if this league dies."

      Email can be sent to Leo Abate (general manager) or Fred Foerster (owner) through their website. Here is the link:

      http://dvbowl.com/ContactUs.asp?Page=Contact+Us

      Delete